Who we are?
WineGB East is one of the six regional associations which cover the wine growing areas of England and Wales. It was founded in 1978 at Chilford Hall by Sam Alper, to bring together all those interested in growing vines and making fine English wines in the area. Today we have more than 50 vineyards as Full Members, ranging from less than a hectare to over 30 hectares in the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, alongside the London North and East areas. Members also include people or organisations who have an interest in viticulture and the English Wine Industry.
Members and Full Members are automatically affiliated to WineGB, the national body lobbying Westminster and Brussels on behalf of the English Wine Industry.
Why do we exist?
The body aims to provide guidance for the many legal, commercial and technical issues occurring within the industry. The WineGB East Regional competition occurs annually and results may be presented to the public as an example of what we can achieve in the East. Most vineyards in our region are members, but if not, we encourage joining us, as membership provides beneficial support.
WineGB East assists members with publicity, manage both educational and promotional events, distribute information and coordinate links with other trade and tourist bodies. We represent the region at the English Wine Producers trade tasting in London. We are committed to raising and maintaining high standards, and have encouraged members and producers to participate in the EU funded wineskills and other programmes to raise levels of education and keep abreast of modern changes in viticulture, winemaking and marketing practices, particularly at a time when awareness and popularity of English Wine is hugely increasing.
WineGB East invites all people to join the organisation and participate in our events and meetings. Some members are not growers, but have a commercial interest in vine growing or wine making products or can provide a consultancy service to those who do. Growers of all sizes are welcome, from the vines in your back garden or on your allotment to big commercial growers who are also farmers, all are welcome!
Membership is handled is managed centrally via Wine GB. On joining Wine GB, you automatically become a member of your geographic regional vineyard association.
How will Membership benefit you?
- Automatic membership of national body – Wine Producers of Great Britain (Wine Producers GB), which lobbies DEFRA and Europe on relevant and topical issues
- Eligible for entry into both regional and national wine competitions
- Free copy of the Green Pesticide Booklet (or an emailed pdf version) which notifies growers of legally available sprays and suggested spray programmes.
- Free entry onto the vineyard section of this website.
- Free copy of the biannual national magazine “The Grape Press” and information flow from UKVA bulletins. Free copy of the regional newsletter.
- Meetings at vineyards and wineries round the region, with opportunity to taste wines of the region and speak to growers about their experiences. Speakers on topics of interest.
- Opportunity to gain advice from other members and networks round the region
- Opportunity to join an email forum to gain access to members in other regions for advice or networking.
- Free colour map “The Vineyards of England and Wales” (when available)
- Reduced entry costs for the English and Welsh Wine of the Year Competition
- Eligibility for WineGB East Wine of the Year Competition
- Access to Wine GB mailing list for members
- Eligible to attend one the many Wine GB webinars
- Able to attend subsidised wine trips
* all these may change without notice